“So many yoga classes, so many teachers, so little time!” If you are new to a yoga studio, this may be one of the thoughts that pass through your mind when looking over the class schedule. That is one of the main reasons we at Bristol Yoga Center offer introductory deals to new students like our “30 for 30”, just thirty bucks for thirty days of all you can yoga to give you the opportunity to try out as many classes and instructors as possible to find the style of class and instructor you “jive” with. “But I can’t meet all of the instructors, my schedule is crazy! What if I am missing the one instructor I truly resonate with?” Don’t worry, we have a solution for that, too.
At Bristol Yoga Center, one of our greatest values is our “sangha”, or community. We want each and every individual that walks through our doors to feel like family, like they belong. Because of the value we place on creating this sense of community, we have decided to feature one of our teachers each week in a “get to know you” style setting, so not only can you discover teachers that you may not have had an opportunity to practice with, but you can now get to know fellow members of the community!
This week, our Feature Teacher is someone easily described as the sunshine to our solar system, the espresso shot you need to get your day started, love personified… and that woman is Victoria Hanson!
The following are a few questions Victoria took the time to answer to either help you better get to know the radiant woman you are already practicing with, or to let you know the abundance of love you’ve been missing and need in your life!
- What brought you to yoga?
- “A woman we called "Ms. Tilly" brought me to yoga. I was heading out the door of the wellness center on Euclid after a run on the treadmill weeks after Sidney was born in 2002. Sidney was in the carrier. Ms. Tilly stopped me and chatted, Sidney was sleeping, and she talked me into putting her back in the nursery and joining her for yoga class. She introduced me to everyone in the room, and the instructor, Dolores Champagne, was so amazing I came back every week I could after that first class.
- If you could describe your style of practice, what would it be?
- “My style of practice is Hatha yoga. I utilize Iyengar style alignment with props and expand with Ashtanga style flowing movements like the sun and moon salutes. I really desire for my students to experience the flowing connection that is always there for them if they choose to seek it. ‘You are loved, you are supported and you are free!’ I say in just about every class.
Generally speaking, what are three likes and three dislikes that you have?
“I like freedom to play, beautiful laughter and pure truth. I dislike entrapment, ignorant selfish Ego and deliberate, mean spirited, dishonesty.”
- What are you doing when you are not teaching yoga?
“I am spending time with those I adore! My three dogs, my birth family, my church family and my friends. Sometimes I clean, but mostly I spend my time creating moments of Lovely Play.”
- What is the biggest lesson you have learned from your yoga so far?
"’Be in the Flow, is the number one rule in Yoga’ I learned from my teacher Lydie Ometto. ‘We are chasing, the chasing’ Dolores Champange said about teaching. Bring what serves right Now, to those who show up; that is the beautiful work of Yoga.”
- And finally, favorite quote?
“God is Love. 1 John 3:8”
If you find yourself missing the sunshine of sunny weather days, come bask in Victoria’s warm, radiant presence Monday through Friday from 6:00-7:00 AM for Sunrise Yoga. In this class, Victoria teaches traditional sun salutations and features a focus pose for the entire week. No wonder this woman embodies sunshine!
Feature Teacher presented by Marcy Hullander